Trending for the past few days is a news reporting that President of tye Federal Republic of Nigeria, Bola Ahmed Tinubu has approved the renaming of some Federal Airports across the six geopolitical zones in the country, after the names of some prominent citizens of the country, both living and dead.
The trending news reads in part:
"President Bola Tinubu, has renamed some federal airports after several prominent Nigerians.
"The renaming of the airports was announced in a memo released by the Federal Ministry of Aviation dated June 1, 2023, and signed by Mrs Joke Olatunji for the Director of Airport Operations on Monday.
"The statement noted that the President renamed the airports “as part of reforms of the Aviation sector.”
"The Maiduguri Airport was renamed after the immediate past President Muhammadu Buhari and the Port Harcourt Airport after the late nationalist Obafemi Awolowo, while the Nasarawa Airport immortalised the late founder of the Sokoto Caliphate, Usman Dan Fodio.
"Also, the Benin Airport was renamed after the late Oba of Benin, Oba Akenzua II, Ebonyi Airport after the late Senate President Chuba Okadigbo, and the Ibadan Airport after the late Premier of the old Western Region, Ladoke Akintola.
List of the affected airports were given to include the following:
1. Akure Airport – Olumuyiwa Bernard Aliu
2. Benin Airport – Oba Akenzua II
3. Dutse Airport – Muhammad Nuhu Sanusi
4. Ebonyi Airport – Chuba Wilberforce Okadigbo
5. Gombe Airport – Brigadier Zakari Maimalari
6. Ibadan Airport – Samuel Ladoke Akintola
7. Ilorin Airport – Gen. Tunde Idiagbon
8. Kaduna Airport – Hassan Usman Katsina
9. Maiduguri Airport – Gen. Mumammadu Buhari
10. Makurdi Airport – Joseph Sarwuan Tarka
11. Minna Airport – Mallam Abubakar Imam
12. Nassarawa Airport – Sheikh Usman Dan Fodio
13. Osubi Airport – Alfred Diete Spiff
14. Port Harcourt Airport – Obafemi Jeremiah Awolowo
15. Yola Airport – Lamido Aliyu Mustapha
Although the news and the date the memo was released fell within the administration of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, the renaming of the Federal Airports after the names of the prominent Nigerians was done and approved by the immediate past President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Muhammadu Buhari.
The order was given at the weehour of the handover between Mohammadu Buhari and Bola Ahmed Tinubu but the memo was released on June 1st to notify the public.
Tag: TINUBU RENAMES AIRPORTS AFTER BUHARI AWOLOWO OTHERS
Written by Omooba Alekuwodo (omoobaalekuwodo)
Published 6/27/2023 9:33:36 AM